[LiU design] FW: Bill Gaver seminarium i Stockholm

Stefan Holmlid stefan.holmlid at liu.se
Tors Mars 26 14:37:20 CET 2015

Hej!

ytterligare ett intressant seminarium, nu i Stockholm

--------
Professor Bill Gaver's is visting KTH and will give a seminar takes on Monday at 11.00 - in D2 at KTH, Lindstedtsvägen 5. The title of the seminar is "3 projects about the environment".

And at 13.15, we get to listen to Vegas and Gaver discussing Vegas' 50% text. Abstract below. In Fantum at Lindstedtsvägen 24.

Abstract:

Through two different art projects, Metaphone and Delete By Haiku, I have  explored issues around authorship in interactive, digitally-based, art. Through  going back to the early days of industrialism and the artistic explorations of what  machines would mean to our society, I place my art projects in a tradition of  Modernism, in particular using ideas of the machinic from artists like Tinguely.  When applied to modern machines whose interactive capacity surpasses those of  the early machinic art projects, we come to ask new questions around authorship. Who is the artist when the machine produces an artwork that feeds off the participant's bio data (as in Metaphone)? Who is the artist when a haiku  poem is interactively created from old mobile text messages on your mobile  phone (as in Delete by Haiku)?

The work presented here has been done in an interaction design research group at a technical university. This has coloured my choices of digital materials and  possible interactions in my two art projects. Art-driven research is becoming increasingly important in interaction design and Human-Computer Interaction  (HCI); many researchers make use of aesthetic thinking and critical attitude  towards their designs and in their research. Research that is not problem-driven is finding its own path: rethinking, reimagining and interpretation are given  more importance in the HCI and interaction design milieu that has otherwise  been dominated by psychology and computer science. Concepts like ambiguity,  defamiliarization, alienation, aesthetic experience, and interaction criticism are  increasingly driving interaction design and HCI research. Our field borrows concepts and derives practices from art theory, philosophy of aesthetics, critical  theory.

Taking practical and aesthetic notions as the starting point for investigating the  theme of authorship, I also strongly build the experiential qualities that  interactivity provides. A digital interaction is interesting in that it changes with  what the participants do. This interactive behaviour sets the digital materials  apart from other machines. Through a focus on the interactive qualities of  interactive artworks, we can derive different questions, issues, understandings  and political underpinnings of authorship issues today, in the contemporary,  information society. In my explorations, the relationship between audience and  interactive artwork is altered. By exploring and understanding what authorship  is and deconstructing its inner logics, we may construct new knowledge, find  new more sensitive ways of dealing with artefacts, create new ways of designing  interactive tools and systems and evocative experiences. Ultimately, it allows us to express ourselves in novel ways - artists, designers and participants alike.

-----
Kristina Höök

Professor in Interaction Design at the CSC-school
Director of the Mobile Life centre
khook at kth.se<mailto:khook at kth.se>
+46705617035