[LiU design] PhD halftime seminar on design for/with machine learning, Thu Jan 16, 10:15-12:00

Jonas Löwgren jonas.lowgren at liu.se
Ons Jan 8 13:01:37 CET 2020

Dear colleagues,

WASP industrial PhD student Martin Lindvall is having his halftime seminar on Thursday, Jan 16, at 10:15-12:00. A halftime seminar is the equivalent of a licentiate seminar, where Martin will be presenting his ongoing PhD work and discussing it with docent Ylva Fernaeus of KTH, our external discussant.

You are kindly invited to learn more about how to design AI for professional use in medical diagnostics, and to be part of the conversation.

Venue:
KO301 (Campus Norrköping, Kopparhammaren 2, third floor, downstream end of building).

Title:
Designing for machine learning in medical image diagnostics -- Enabling efficient ensembles of professional medical practitioners and learning machines through interaction design

Abstract:
Advancements in machine learning (ML) has led to a dramatic increase in AI capabilities for medical diagnostic tasks. However, despite impressive technical advances, predictive algorithms are to a very small extent used in healthcare today. A lack of design considerations and inefficient human-AI collaborations has been identified as a major factor limiting adoption in clinical settings.

Using a constructive design research approach, my work explores how we might design systems with ML components that aid clinical decision-making. Preliminary results are derived from experiments and experiences from four projects, all aiming to produce novel interactive systems for or with ML components.

Preliminary contributions consist of identifying design challenges and suitable interaction strategies for human-ML collaboration at different stages of automatic support. Specifically, I present three works that address challenges in designing for effective human-machine teaching and two in-progress works that address the challenge of designing interactions that afford successful collaborative strategies despite the uncertainty inherent in machine predictions.

Seminar material:
Available at https://files.sectra.se/index.php/s/e2LJ92SdGFew2jy if you are interested in having a look before the seminar.

All the best, and looking forward to seeing you there,
Jonas Löwgren

--------
Media and Information Technology
Linköping University, 601 74 Norrköping, Sweden

http://jonas.lowgren.info<http://jonas.lowgren.info/>
mobile +46 7039 17854  ::  zoom https://liu-se.zoom.us/my/jonas.lowgren