[Liuhum] FW: Julia Suarez Krabbe HS

Madina Tlostanova madina.tlostanova at liu.se
Thu Apr 29 13:32:54 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Welcome to the next Tema Genus  Higher Seminar on May 5, at 13.15.

Julia Suárez Krabbe

Over our dead bodies: The death project, egoism and the existential dimensions of decolonization

This presentation revolves around the existential dimensions of the decolonization of whites with a specific focus on Denmark. The colonial, capitalist, racist, patriarchal world demands our existential commitment by separating ourselves from Mother World, and to disassociate from each other. This disconnection is closely linked to the disease of egoism (Organizaciones Indígenas de Colombia): the particular practices and historical choices that each person makes following coloniality’s prescriptions, which add up to become the death project. The death project speaks to the structural enforcement of the prescriptions of the coloniality of power. Such structural enforcement, however, is impossible without the existential, where we reduce our bodies to machines, stripping us from sociality and relationality. To the extent that we reduce our bodies to our own life-time, and to labor-power within a system that values us only in terms of our contribution to the labor market; then our bodies are already diseased. To realize our diseased bodies is to reinsert ourselves into the world as part of its processes of becoming. The ‘magic’ that was taken out of our bodies and practices of relating to one another during the witch hunt (Federici), consists in the world-making (Lugones) that can now take place over our dead bodies.

Julia SUÁREZ-KRABBE is Associate Professor in Cultural Encounters at the Department of Communication and Arts, Roskilde University, Denmark. Her work centers on racism, human rights, development, knowledge production, education and decolonization in Europe and the Americas. In close collaboration with the refugee movement in Denmark, her latest work includes examinations of state-sanctioned racism in Danish deportation camps. Her work additionally revolves around the ontological, epistemological and existential dimensions of decolonization. Julia is the author of “Race, Rights and Rebels. Alternatives to Human Rights and Development from the Global South” (2016).

Madina Tlostanova (LiU) is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/67304436366?pwd=Q2ZrTFNVc1g1OVZjRkIyMUhwcS9zQT09

Meeting ID: 673 0443 6366
Passcode: 965342
One tap mobile
+46844682488,,67304436366#,,,,*965342# Sweden
+46850539728,,67304436366#,,,,*965342# Sweden

Dial by your location
        +46 8 4468 2488 Sweden
        +46 850 539 728 Sweden
Meeting ID: 673 0443 6366
Passcode: 965342
Find your local number: https://liu-se.zoom.us/u/cb6SFnBWMP

Join by SIP
67304436366 at 109.105.112.236<mailto:67304436366 at 109.105.112.236>
67304436366 at 109.105.112.235<mailto:67304436366 at 109.105.112.235>

Join by H.323
109.105.112.236
109.105.112.235
Meeting ID: 673 0443 6366