[Liuhum] Upcoming Tema Q/COMPASS seminar

Per-Anders Forstorp per-anders.forstorp at liu.se
Fri Dec 3 11:01:43 CET 2021

 Welcome to a Tema Q/COMPASS seminar next week

9/12 Traces on the Tundra Skin: Reading Environmental Archives from the Soviet North

Dmitry Arzyutov, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden & University of Oulu, Finland

Tvärsnittet (Kopparhammaren 7) 13.15-15

+ hybrid on Zoom (https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/69992182037)

If the environment has history, where is it archive? To answer this provocative question I would like to invite colleagues to reflect upon the human-environment interactions in the Arctic tundra which covers 10% of Earth’s surface. In the present paper, I particularly focus on the relations between industrial and conservation projects in the Soviet Arctic tundra. Following the mechanical traces – in a strict material sense and as a metaphor – left behind from the military and the industrial developers of the region, the article examines three main interlinked “layers” of tundra’s archive of the long 20th century: links between the tundra and the Other, the emergence of tundra as a fragile surface under the wheels of industrial all-terrain vehicles, and the complex history of one of the first tundra nature reserves (zapovednik) which coincided with the rise of the international discourse of biosphere. As I am going to show, this multi-layered history and mutual influences on the ground and in historical paper documents can be understood as an environmental archive which refers to a complex network that mark the relations between paper documents and human and non-human agencies as they are able work together and stabilise the conceptualisation of a variety of environmental objects, such as tundra.

COMPASS is a research hub devoted to the study of knowledge in motion.<https://liu.se/en/research/compass-a-research-hub-on-knowledge-circulation>

Welcome!

Best regards

Per-Anders Forstorp
Professor
Department of Culture and Society/Division of Culture, Society, Form and Media

Institutionen för kultur och samhälle/Avdelningen för kultur, samhälle, form och medier

& Didacticum

Linköpings Universitet
Phone +46 11 36 30 92

www.liu.se/isak<http://www.liu.se/isak>