[IDA ML Seminar] IDA Machine Learning Seminar 22/4 - David Sumpter

Fredrik Lindsten fredrik.lindsten at liu.se
Mon Apr 20 19:57:34 CEST 2020

Welcome to the IDA Machine Learning Seminar on Wednesday, April 22, 3.15
pm, 2020
Due to the current situation the seminar will be over video using Zoom,
https://uu-se.zoom.us/j/67286808836

Seeing in to the future. Using self-propelled particle models to aid
player decision-making in soccer.
David Sumpter, Department of Mathematics, Uppsala University.
https://www.david-sumpter.com/

Abstract: Soccer has some of the most complex team movement patterns of
any team sport. Recently, several measurements have been proposed for
evaluating the value of dribbles, passes or shots. The next step is to
automatically identify the alternative actions available to players both
on and off the ball. We address this challenge by building a
‘self-propelled player’ model, simulating attacking roles by maximizing
three criteria: pass probability, pitch Impact and pitch control. The
model assumes that players can anticipate the movement of the other
players on the pitch a few seconds in to the future and maximize the
future value of their position. We compared these simulations to player
decisions during matches by top-flight men’s teams of Hammarby IF and FC
Barcelona. In simulations, we found that the two or three players
nearest to the ball tended to optimize the product of pass probability
and pitch impact. In a first-team coaching intervention at Hammarby,
players re-watched attacking situations in which they had been involved,
and were asked to discuss their own actions in comparison with the
model. The players often agreed that the model captured complex game
patterns, including off-ball actions. The model also recommended runs
that the players hadn’t taken, which the players also found realistic
and aided discussions. Despite the novelty of these discussions, the
players showed a high willingness to engage with them. We further
explored how these techniques can be used to provide automated feedback
to players within the match cycle. Bio: David Sumpter is professor of
applied mathematics and author of Soccermatics (2016), Outnumbered
(2018) and The Ten Equations that Rule the World (due 2020). His
research, resulting in over 100 publications, covers everything from the
inner workings of fish schools and ant colonies, through social
psychology and segregation in society, to machine learning and
artificial intelligence. He has consulted for leading football clubs and
works actively with outreach to schools, industry and the social sector.
His talks at Google, TedX, the Oxford Mathematics Public Lecture and The
Royal Institution are available online.

Location: Zoom, https://uu-se.zoom.us/j/67286808836
Organizer: Patrick Lambrix

-------
The list of future seminars in the series is available at
http://www.ida.liu.se/research/machinelearning/seminars/.

Welcome!​

IDA Machine Learning Group