[IDA ML Seminar] IDA Machine Learning Seminar 21/4 - Rémi Bardenet

Fredrik Lindsten fredrik.lindsten at liu.se
Wed Apr 14 15:44:10 CEST 2021

Welcome to the IDA Machine Learning Seminar on Wednesday, April 21,
15:15 (Swedish time)

Rémi Bardenet, CNRS & CRIStAL, Université de Lille, France
http://rbardenet.github.io/

Monte Carlo integration with repulsive point processes
Abstract: Monte Carlo integration is the workhorse of Bayesian
inference, but the mean square error of Monte Carlo estimators decreases
slowly, typically as 1/N, where N is the number of integrand
evaluations. This becomes a bottleneck in Bayesian applications where
evaluating the integrand can take tens of seconds, like in the life
sciences, where evaluating the likelihood often requires solving a large
system of differential equations. I will present two approaches to
faster Monte Carlo rates using interacting particle systems. First, I
will show how results from random matrix theory lead to a stochastic
version of Gaussian quadrature in any dimension d, with mean square
error decreasing as 1/N^{1+1/d}. This quadrature is based on
determinantal point processes, which can be argued to be the kernel
machine of point processes. Second, I will show how to further take this
error rate down assuming the integrand is smooth. In particular, I will
give a tight error bound when the integrand belongs to any arbitrary
reproducing kernel Hilbert space, using a mixture of determinantal point
processes tailored to that space. This mixture is reminiscent of volume
sampling, a randomized experimental design used in linear regression.

Joint work with Adrien Hardy, Ayoub Belhadji, Pierre Chainais

Zoom link: https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/69011766298
Passcode: 742124

-------
The list of future seminars in the series is available at
http://www.ida.liu.se/research/machinelearning/seminars/.

Welcome!​
IDA Machine Learning Group
Linköping University