Save the date: January 25–27 2017 - Welcoming Refugees - Local European Experiences

REMESO Newsletter remeso-nbrev-eng at lists.liu.se
Sat Jul 16 01:43:01 CEST 2016

Save the date: January 25–27 2017

Welcoming Refugees - Local European Experiences

A conference hosted by the Municipality of Norrköping in partnership

with REMESO at Linköping University, and the think tank Arena Idé.

Norrköping invites politicians and officials in European cities, as well as researchers in the social sciences, to join us for a two-day conference to discuss best practices and innovative solutions for receiving refugees in our cities.

"In recent years, large numbers of refugees have made their way to Europe. To receive these people and offer them a safe place to stay poses major challenges for European cities. In Norrköping, we are driven by a desire to be a welcoming city, where people in need of protection have good opportunities to live and work.

The large number of newly arrived refugees poses new challenges. Norrköping invites cities and municipalities who share our welcoming vision, to a conference to exchange experiences and working methods on the basis that a generous approach is possible.

We hope that the conference with its focus on recent research, best practice, and the possibility of building a new network in the field, will give us the knowledge and inspiration we need for our common experiences to create improved reception of refugees as well as socially sustainable cities."

Lars Stjernkvist, Chair of the Municipal Executive Board

The conference

The conference will provide new insights into different aspects of the reception of newly arrived refugees and will also offer opportunities to:

  1.  Learn about new research in the field and discuss the topics with researchers
  2.  Hold and participate in workshops to share your own best practice, and learn about how other cities take on challenges of receiving new refugees (the need for jobs, housing, education, language skills, etc.)
  3.  Build networks and find new partners for future projects

Participating researchers will also have the possibility to find interesting cases, partners or topics for further research.

About the partners

Arena Idé is an independent think tank funded primarily by the Swedish trade

union movement. Arena Idé is part of the Arena Group.

The Institute for Research on Migration, Ethnicity and Society (REMESO) is an

institute at Linköping University in Norrköping.

More information and program to come!

Contact person:  Jenny Gustafsson, Municipality of Norrköping, jenny.gustafsson at norrkoping.se<mailto:jenny.gustafsson at norrkoping.se>