[Aida-compute-users] What external services do you need? Outgoing connections will be limited to approved destinations only.

Joel Hedlund joel.hedlund at liu.se
Fri Aug 7 17:54:20 CEST 2020

Hi AIDA DGX-2 compute users!

As some of you may have seen in chat <https://zulip.aida.medtech4health.se/#narrow/stream/13-dgx2/subject/outgoing.20connections/near/4948> today, we are increasing our readiness for sensitive personal data, in a step-wise approach. We are soon ready to take the next step in networking, to limit outgoing connections to approved destinations only. More information on the wiki <https://wiki.aida.medtech4health.se/en/general/infrastructure/dgx-2#networking>.

Some of you have contacted us to request approval for specific destinations, and we believe that we will be able to implement the networking changes in a way that will not impede your access, in almost all of these cases. In the remaining (difficult) cases, we have been able to work together to identify alternative ways to work, that will hopefully will allow work to continue unimpeded while not being too inconvenient (docs here <https://wiki.aida.medtech4health.se/en/general/infrastructure/dgx-2#conveniences-keep-local-and-vm-environments-in-sync>).

If there are any further large-data-volume destinations that you want us to try to keep open for you, then let us know, and we will approve them based on feasibility. IP:PORT is easiest; distributed services over cdn are harder.

For small-data-volume traffic, we ask you to prefer using your own VPN+SSH/SFTP connection (cf docs link above).

(In case you are wondering why we are doing this while most of you are on vacation, the answer is that we believe more of you will be more inconvenienced if we muck around with system changes like this while you are actively trying to work on the system :-)

If you have any questions or feedback then please feel free to contact me, or AIDA DGX admins at aida-compute at medtech4health.se <mailto:aida-compute at medtech4health.se> or in AIDA chat <https://zulip.aida.medtech4health.se/#narrow/stream/13-dgx2/subject/outgoing.20connections/near/4948>.

Happy computing, and have a nice weekend!

/Joel Hedlund

AIDA DGX-2 Service owner

Data director AIDA