[Aida-compute-users] Reduced IPv4 address reservations

Joel Hedlund joel.hedlund at liu.se
Fri Aug 21 17:08:53 CEST 2020

Hi!

As you may have seen in chat today,

> https://zulip.aida.medtech4health.se/#narrow/stream/13-dgx2/subject/reduced.20IPv4.20address.20reservations/near/5281

we are reducing the range of reserved IP addresses per project from 4 per project to 2 per project.

In the future, your VMs will not be assigned any of the 2 the higher addresses in the range originally given. We plan to instead assign these higher addresses to future projects.

If you have set up firewall rules on other systems (eg at your home institution) to allow connections from the /30 range that was originally given, you may want to adjust it to /31 instead (thereby blocking the higher 2 IP addresses from connecting).

The reason for this adjustment is that more AIDA partners are coming in, and as IPv4 addresses are a precious commodity, we shouldn't squander more than necessary on reserving more per project than will likely be useful to anybody.

We expect that this will not inconvenience you too much, as my impression is that if an AIDA researcher could choose between getting 4 separate VMs with few GPUs each, or getting one huge VM with all those GPUs in it all at once, the AIDA researcher would pick the latter one any day of the week.

If this assumption is wrong, then let me know and we will work something out!

Have a nice weekend!
/Joel Hedlund
AIDA DGX-2 Service owner