[Liuhum] LiU Humanities newsletter

Olga Zabalueva olga.zabalueva at liu.se
Mon Mar 22 15:44:38 CET 2021

Dear сolleagues,

I hope this email finds you, your families and friends well.

  *   Wednesday 24 March 13:00-15:00

Forum för form, estetik och gestaltning at the Division of Culture, Society, Design and Media invites you to the online seminar with Karin Becker, professor emerita from Stockholm University:

“Per-Form-ing Knowledge: Toward collaborative practices in research and education”
Zoom: https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/66437983284?pwd=UjA3c1JLdUVZRUwvWFBodlRBRUlBQT09
Meeting ID: 664 3798 3284
Passcode: 212848

Recommended readings (see attached files):

     *   Becker, K. (2010). ’Art through City Space - Report on a Project in Artistic Research,’ in: Forskning och kritik – granskning och recension av konstnärlig forskning. Konstnärlig årsbok FoU – Årsbok 2010. Stockholm Vetenskapsrådet. 142-156.
     *   Brečević, G., Brečević, R. & Becker, K. (2011) ’Cinésense - bilder som uppträder,’ in: Form och färdriktning – strategiska frågor för den konstnärliga forskningen. Årsbok KFoU / T. Lind. [ed] Stockholm: Vetenskapsrådet. 146-174. (länk kommer ev).
     *   Borgdorff, Henk. 2007. The Debate on Research in the Arts. Dutch journal of music theory. 12 - 1 https://cpb-eu-w2.wpmucdn.com/blogs.brighton.ac.uk/dist/c/2106/files/2016/05/H-Borgdorff-The-Debate-on-Research-in-the-Arts-14d694g.pdf<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcpb-eu-w2.wpmucdn.com%2Fblogs.brighton.ac.uk%2Fdist%2Fc%2F2106%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2FH-Borgdorff-The-Debate-on-Research-in-the-Arts-14d694g.pdf&data=04%7C01%7Colga.zabalueva%40liu.se%7C8f108acbae3843e22f4308d8ead957d8%7C913f18ec7f264c5fa816784fe9a58edd%7C0%7C0%7C637517566799359610%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=CiKuJ2tjL8GH%2BprYivNOhzr5up2CG7Ls23N5w33qKaY%3D&reserved=0>
     *   Gislen, Ylva. 2007. Handling som kunskapande. En kunskapskritisk reflexion överkonstnären och designern som forskare. Tidskrift för genusvetenskap 1-2. http://ojs.ub.gu.se/ojs/index.php/tgv/article/view/2375/2126<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fojs.ub.gu.se%2Fojs%2Findex.php%2Ftgv%2Farticle%2Fview%2F2375%2F2126&data=04%7C01%7Colga.zabalueva%40liu.se%7C8f108acbae3843e22f4308d8ead957d8%7C913f18ec7f264c5fa816784fe9a58edd%7C0%7C0%7C637517566799369609%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=MFIQVXsZSuB12SF2HgguNPg4qBXxgNGQc0DWLzq6ICE%3D&reserved=0>

  *    Wednesday 7 April 13:15-15:00

Tema Genus invites to the open Higher seminar with Karolina Żyniewicz:

It matters what stories tell stories. Autoethnography as a method of transmattered studies

Zoom: https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/61146574722?pwd=cTBZNnhJUFQyNHNkZnJLWEVpT1N6Zz09

Meeting ID: 611 4657 4722

Passcode: 521852

Abstract: I did not find autoethnography, it was this method finding me. I used to work following an autoethnographic approach even before I learned about the existence of such a method, as my artistic practice has always been a form of autoethnography. This is a method which does not require anyone to limit his/her own identity or interests, it allows one to be an artist, a researcher, and an academic at the same time. In 2017 I wrote an article entitled: The Autoethnography of a Woman Artist Engaged in Art&Science Projects in Biological Laboratories (Żyniewicz 2017, p.103-126) to clarify why I decided to embrace analytic autoethnography instead of evocative one. I wanted to make clear to everyone, including myself, that I was indeed following an academic method of research. Then I realized that actually my research activity was combining both the analytic and the evocative approaches to autoethnography, without causing any conflict. The questions are: How to convince the conservative academic environment to use the experimental methodology? Why is sharing the individual perspective of the researcher is still so controversial for academia? What is more important, the idea of the research or its being acceptable and defensible in the academic context?

Karolina Żyniewicz is an artist (2009 graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Łódź, Department of Visual Arts) and researcher, PhD student (Nature-Culture Transdisciplinary PhD Program at Artes Liberales Faculty, University of Warsaw). Working in a laboratory (mostly at the Institute of Genetics and Biotechnology, Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw) locates her works in the field of bio art, although she tries to avoid using this term. She sees her liminal activity as situated knowledge production. She is mostly focused on life in its broad understanding (its biological and cultural meaning). Her projects have mostly conceptual, critical character. The main point of her PhD research interest are multilevel relations emerging during realization of liminal projects. She tries to put her observations, as an artist/researcher (liminal being), in the context of Science and Technology Studies (STS) Actor-Network Theory by Bruno Latour and feminist humanities. Web: http://karolinazyniewicz.com/

  *   Tema Q (Culture and Society) is hiring!

3 Doctoral candidates in Culture and society: https://liu.se/jobba-pa-liu/lediga-jobb?rmpage=job&rmjob=15810&rmlang=SE

A postdoc with specialization in knowledge circulation: https://liu.se/en/work-at-liu/vacancies?rmpage=job&rmjob=15825&rmlang=UK

A postdoc with specialization in interdisciplinary studies of intellectual property: https://liu.se/en/work-at-liu/vacancies?rmpage=job&rmjob=15827&rmlang=UK

Deadline for applications is 31st of March

  *   Broaden your network!

Network of European Humanities.21 – a collaborative possibility https://neh21.net/

Network of European Humanities.21 emerged from the European branch of the World Humanities Report (WHR), a flagship project of The International Council of Philosophy and the Human Sciences (CIPSH). LiU Humanities participates in the networking which focuses on interdisciplinary humanities areas, such as decolonial humanities, environmental humanities, and medical humanities.

Wishing you all a good beginning of spring,
Best regards
Olga Zabalueva
PhD student
[Linköping University]
Department of Culture and Society (IKOS), Tema Q
581 83 Linköping
Phone: +46 (0)11-36 30 28
Mobile: +46 (0)73-661 77 75
Visiting address: Campus Norrköping, Kopparhammaren 7, Ingång 56C, Rum 541
Please visit us at www.liu.se<http://www.liu.se>