[Liuhum] Seminar 20/10

Olga Zabalueva olga.zabalueva at liu.se
Tue Oct 19 14:27:47 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

See the invitation to the seminar below:

Research Environment Language & Culture
Department of Culture & Society (IKOS), LiU

Higher Seminar
Wednesday 20 October 2021
3.15-5 pm in Comenius (Key Building) or via Zoom (https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/62811601114?pwd=am0wQ3NSR0NwajV0dHR0RUY3TzhuQT09)

The Birth of “Data Problems”: A Cultural Techniques Perspective on Some
of the Major Concerns of the 1970s

Johan Fredrikzon, Stockholm University

The seminar will be held in Swedish or English depending on who is joining the seminar.

During the 1970s the problems of the environment and of the population were reframed in a manner that still much influences our conception of them. How to make sense of the interaction between forces of environmental pollution? How to uphold the privacy of individuals as the knowledge banks of governmental agencies were coordinated?

In my doctoral disseratation Kretslopp av data [Cycles of Data] (Mediehistoriskt arkiv, 2021), I argue that we need to understand these problems – which superficially may seem far apart – as consequences of changes within data management. Beneath the political mobilization of environmental movements as well as the stormy debates of privacy during these years we find what I choose to call the infrastructures and cultural techniques of early digitalization. These, I argue, contributed to presenting the environment and the population as “data problems”. That, in turn, gave rise to a number of changes in administrative offices and state archives and the work carried out there. In my lecture I wish to highlight a few aspects of this development.

Best regards
Olga Zabalueva
PhD student
[Linköping University]
Department of Culture and Society (IKOS), Tema Q
IKOS PhD Council
581 83 Linköping
Phone: +46 (0)11-36 30 28
Mobile: +46 (0)73 661 77 75
Visiting address: Campus Norrköping, Kopparhammaren 7, Ingång 56C, Rum 541
Please visit us at www.liu.se<http://www.liu.se>
Emailing Linköping University will result in Linköping University processing your personal data.Find more information on how this is done at https://liu.se/en/article/integritetspolicy-liu