[Liuhum] LiU-Humanities news

Olga Zabalueva olga.zabalueva at liu.se
Thu Mar 10 15:50:27 CET 2022

Dear colleagues!

Here comes some news and invitations from LiU-Humanities network. As usual, if you want to spread the word about anything that is happening, you can send an email to liuhum at lists.liu.se<mailto:liuhum at lists.liu.se>

  *   Archive of Media History invites to the symposium on 16 June in Stockholm (see the attachment)

·         Department of Society, Culture and Identity at Malmö University organizes workshop Refugees and Survivors in National Historiographies and Public History. Archives, Voices and Memories (see the attachment and the link https://www.delegia.com/app/netattm/attendee/page/109327?languageid=2) 16-17 June, deadline for proposals – 15 April

  *   The Unit for Philosophy and Applied Ethics invites everyone interested to the seminar that will take place at 10.15 am on Wednesday, March 16, 2022. Alba Montes Sánchez (UC Cork) will give a talk entitled “Envy, Racism, and Self-Deception”. For an abstract, please see below.

The meeting will be in hybrid mode. We will meet on Campus Valla, Key Building, Second Floor, Room “Tage”. Alternatively, you can also follow the talk via Zoom: https://liu-se.zoom.us/j/63403050960?pwd=UEF5eVpmbzlBSzlrWkMxeU9WeklvZz09  (275978).

Envy, Racism and Self-Deception

Alba Montes Sánchez and Alessandro Salice (University College Cork)

In recent years, political emotions have been an area of intense research in disciplines such as philosophy and sociology. But as Protasi (2021) remarks, envy has been largely overlooked in these debates, despite the fact that it contributes in important ways to racist hatred and other forms of identity-based hatred. While it might initially seem counterintuitive to claim that one can envy a group viewed as inferior, much historical, empirical and anecdotal evidence shows that the phenomenon is common. According to Protasi, one of the reasons why it has been overlooked is envy’s “tendency to mask as resentment”. But she doesn’t offer a detailed explanation of how and why this masking happens. In this talk, we contribute to elucidating the role of envy in racist hatred and to explain why it has been overlooked.

First, we introduce our own account of envy as an unpleasant and hostile emotion involving feelings of inferiority vis-à-vis a similar other who possesses a coveted good. Regardless of the concrete object that catches the envier’s attention and superficially functions as the coveted good, we contend that the background good at stake in envy is recognition by an in-group (Salice and Montes Sánchez 2019). Interracial conflict involves a fight for recognition and envy is an acknowledgement of inferiority in this respect. This fact cannot be tolerated by the racist, who is under great psychological pressure to mask this feeling of inferiority. In the second part of the talk, we argue that envy is typically masked through emotional mechanisms that transform it into other non-threatening emotions. Emotional mechanisms are psychological processes involving re-evaluations of the intentional object of envy (or any other emotion threatening to oneself) that change the emotional response (Salice and Salmela 2022) . In the case at hand, we argue that envy can be transformed into racial hatred via two routes: one going directly from envy to hatred, and the other passing through resentment as an intermediate step. In the final section of our talk, we show that these emotional mechanisms are self-deceptive strategies, since in them enviers come to ignore important aspects of their identities. In view of all this, we conclude that emotional mechanisms and self-deception explain why envy remains overlooked and under investigated in studies of political emotions in general, and racial hatred in particular.

Works cited
Protasi, Sara. 2021. The Philosophy of Envy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781009007023.
Salice, Alessandro, and Alba Montes Sánchez. 2019. ‘Envy and Us’. European Journal of Philosophy 27 (1): 227–42. https://doi.org/10.1111/ejop.12390.
Salice, Alessandro, and Mikko Salmela. 2022. ‘What Are Emotional Mechanisms?’ Emotions and Society online pre-print. https://doi.org/10.1332/263169021X16369909628542.

Best regards
Olga Zabalueva
PhD student
[Linköping University]
Department of Culture and Society (IKOS), Tema Q
581 83 Linköping
Phone: +46 (0)11-36 30 28
Mobile: +46 (0)73 661 77 75
Visiting address: Campus Norrköping, Kopparhammaren 7, Ingång 56C, Rum 541
Please visit us at www.liu.se<http://www.liu.se>
Emailing Linköping University will result in Linköping University processing your personal data.Find more information on how this is done at https://liu.se/en/article/integritetspolicy-liu