[LCSB] Three systems biology workshops about to start; June 22-23 they are about LiU

Gunnar Cedersund gunnar.cedersund at liu.se
Fre Juni 17 11:48:52 CEST 2011

Dear colleagues,

the time is approaching for this summers big event in terms of systems biology at LiU: three workshops devoted to "Conclusions despite uncertainties", "Multi-level modelling of type 2 diabetes", and "Systems biology at LiU". The first guests have arrived and during the day today we have various types of informal meetings, and tomorrow Saturday at 9AM the first lectures start.

Of highest general interest is the last workshop, June 22-23, and this is open and intended for all interested people: both scientists, students, and the general public. This will be at Planck/IFM/Valla day 1, and in Berzeliussalen/HU day 2. Then two of our most recent recruits will present themselves for the first time. The first is Jens Timmer who is a guest professor from Freiburg, Germany. He heads one of the biggest systems biology groups worldwide (~40 people), and he is doing both advanced method development and tight collaborations with experimentalists in modelling projects; he will present his latest Science paper. The second recruitment is Mikael Benson, who is a systems biology full-time professor at IKE. He works parttime as a paediatrician, coordinates two EU-networks on systems biology, and will be an important link for us to reach into the clinic and for collaborating with Landstinget. Apart from these there will be approx 10 more lectures, from 7 different departments - all working with various aspects of systems biology.

On June 22 we will go for a dinner in the evening: if you want to join, and be sure to have a seat, write an email to pellelundberg "at" gmail.com

More information, detailed schedule, practical information, etc can be found here
http://isbgroup.eu/Workshops2011/
and a short summary is available below.

What: 3 workshops on systems biology, the last one is about LiU systems biology
Where: The first two workshops are in IMT1 at IMT. June 22 is in Planck/IFM, and June 23 in Berzeliussalen/HU
When: Workshops 1 June 19-20: Workshop 2: June 19-20, Workshop 3 (about LiU): June 22-23
For whom: The last workshop is open for all (for the others: please write and check that we still have space)
Cost: Nothing
Joint dinner: June 22, restaurant Dhingis Khan
Sign-up: Yes, if you want to join the dinner June 22. And if you want to have a name tag. (write to pellelundberg "at" gmail.com)

Please forward this information to any colleagues you think are interested!
Best wishes,
Gunnar